Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Church Cake Sale

This entry might run a little long. I want to share a good funny with you and a little inspiration also. First for the funny stuff.

My AcraMax Joke E-mail had this lovely example of what can happen when at first we practice to decieve:

Church Cake Sale

Have you ever told a white lie? You are going to love this -- especially all the ladies who bake for church events

Alice was to bake a cake for the church ladies' group bake sale, but she forgot to do it until the last minute.

She baked an angel food cake and when she took it from the oven, the center had dropped flat.

She said, "Oh dear, there's no time to bake another cake."

So, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake.

Alice found it in the bathroom ... a roll of toilet paper.

She plunked it in and covered it with icing.

The finished product looked beautiful, so she rushed it to the church. Before she left the house, Alice had given her daughter some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the minute it opened, and to buy that cake and bring it home.

When the daughter arrived at the sale, the attractive cake had already been sold.

Alice was beside herself.

The next day, Alice was invited to a friend's home where two tables of bridge were to be played that afternoon.

After the game, a fancy lunch was served, and to top it off, the cake in question was presented for dessert.

Alice saw the cake, she started to get out of her chair to rush into the kitchen to tell her hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, one of the other ladies said, "What a beautiful cake!"

Alice sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say,

"Thank you, I baked it myself."

So, now that we have had a good laugh at our expense......hey, I can include you 'cause I included me!......let's move on and ponder the wonder of how God can use us to have a great impact on the lives of those around us. This is another great message from God's Work Ministry E-mail.

THE FRESHMAN One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class who was walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all of their books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd." I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on. As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around looking for his glasses I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!". There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school until now. I would have never hung out with a private school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play football on Saturday with me and my friends. He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him. And my friends thought the same of him. Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, "Dang boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books. Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we were seniors, we began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship. Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school. He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than me and all the girls loved him! Boy, sometimes I was jealous. Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said. As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story." I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. "Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable." I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize it's depth. Author Unknown

The smallest gesture we make to someone else could be the difference of either building them up or breaking them down. The Lord Jesus says it best in Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" God is on the throne and will reward us according to our acts and deeds (Revelation 20:12-13). If we only do good to those that do good to us, then what reward will we have? Aren't we acting just like the world acts as it is written in Luke 6:32 "And if ye do good to them which do good to you, whatthank have ye? for sinners also do even the same." Lets try our best to be as Jesus is; to help, bless, love and be merciful to everyone we come into contact with for the same mercy we show; will it be shown to us by our Heavenly Father. (Luke 6:36) and (Matthew 5:7) Today, I am recommending a journal of a real life female police officer. I don't know how she does what she does, but I am very thankful that she and others like her do! She lives and works in the Ft. Lauderdale area. In An Officer's Day she shares many of her real life experiences. May not be for the squeemish or faint of heart. But stop by and give her a pat on the back and a word of encouragement.

Note from Bubba and our local news station: On the July 3rd/4th at 12:50 a.m. CST, NASA will be blowing something up in the Southwestern sky.....or at least Southwestern from East Texas. So, if you are a night owl go out and look for some celestial fireworks.

Ending up as usual with the Word on words and anger. Still in Isaiah, Chapter 52 vs.5 & 6: "And now, what is this? asks the Lord. Why are my people enslaved again, and oppressed without excuse? Those who rule them shout in exultation, and my name is constantly blasphemed, day by day. Therefore I will reveal my name to my people and they shall know the power in that name." There are many forms of enslavement. Here in the "Land of the free." most enslavement is a willing choice we make......to allow ourselves to be enslaved by sin. The way out is in the name of Jesus. Are you in a bondage? The name of Jesus is a bondage breaker, call on it today! And once again, let us remember that His name deserves all honor and respect, for one day....and I think it will be soon.....at the name of Jesus, every kneeshall bow, and every tongue confess! Those who adore Him. Those who riducule Him. Those who ignore Him. Those who deny Him. Every tongue. So why not start today?

4 comments:

  1. As usual you did a very good entry. You also gave us a good (cake) chuckle. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cake story!  A great entry all around xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake story always guves me a laugh. The Kyle story always brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at cakes, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to cheap louis vuitton handbags

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...