Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday Morning Shining Down

                                                       Hope everyone had a good Lord's Day today.  I have some reflections I want to share with you.  I had ran to the feedstore yesterday and on my way home as I listened to the Country Classics radio station, an old Johnny Cash song about Sunday Morning came on.  Makes no real difference if you are familiar with the tune or not.  It got me thinking is all.  How Sunday can be many different things to many different people.  How it has actually been different things to me  over the years.   It seems, that there are five basics groups in regards to Sundays.  May I elaborate?  Well, I suppose....after all it is my journal!  lol   There is what I call the Just Another Day  group.  These people view Sunday as just another name for a day of the week.  It is one more opportunity to shop, to clean, to play, to go about the business of life.  They tend to resent or at least view as an inconvenience the last few public concessions to Sunday.  They are the ones the Blue Laws were lifted for.  They may enjoy their Sunday, or they may not.  But it is just one more day in a sea of days.   Then there is the This is My Day Crowd.  These folks hold on to Sunday as their own.  My chance to fish, sleep late, do just as I please.  A perfect view of Sunday for the "Me" generation!  Sunday's often go their way, but does the satisfaction they get from it last at all?   There is a group for which Sunday is Recovery Day.  The day that they hug the toilets and swab their heads with cool rags.  When a little too eagerly they try to persuade everyone as to just how much fun they had the night before.  Some wonder what happened the night before!  The whole day is spent in sickness......tired and worn out, just hoping they are in shape for what lies ahead on Monday.   Common to every denomination and church is the Oh  What  A Big Chore  assembly.  These people faithfully, if only for a time, report to church on Sunday mornings......usually harried and rushed.  There have been numerous fights and arguments along the way.  They come out of a sense of duty......a duty they are either not fully committed to or one to whose allegiance they are wavering.  They want to do right, to be right......but it is such an effort!    Then there is the Joyous Day  remnant.  The redeemed.  The saved, born again.  Those who know Christ Jesus intimately.  Those who can't wait to hear the old, old story retold.  Those who want to hear their voice mingled in praise with the other saints.  Those who come with offerings......of their souls and from their hearts.  Those that can't wait to share a word of testimony or encouragement......or hear someone else's.                                                      Before you get in a huff......I have been a member of every group I listed!  Praise God, I have been in the last group for over a dozen years now!  Yes, we all may relapse to a former group from time to time.....hey, getting kids to church can make it a chore without careful planning!  I share these reflections to encourage you to reflect.......in all love.   In His word God tells us that one day is set aside to:   Rest. Worship. Benefit man. Assemble yourselves together. To do good.   Sure we can do these things any day of the week.  And that is good!  But as humans, we tend to push aside the things we do not schedule...even the good.  And before you know it we're not doing them at all.    That's my reflections upon one old country tune.  I pray they are a benefit to those who pass this way.                                                     

5 comments:

  1. I am this kinda Sunday girl - I admire those young and old who raise their hands to Jesus and praise him while I cross my arms.  I told you I am shy.  I cry at the sight of their hands unashamed praising him, wishing I could do the same.  Just can't seem to.  All of my fellow church members speaking in tongues while I hold mine.  I was babtized in water and in spirit yet I hold back, to shy.  I am ashamed that I can't show him praise while in front of others.  Thats this Sunday girl.

    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I have fallen out of the last group.  I guess i'm in the This is my day group, because I try to find fun things for the family to do.  Not to long ago I wanted to go to church on Sunday, but it turned into a chore.  No one wanted to go with me etc....   Maybe I need to give it a try again.  Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I so enjoyed this entry i too am guilty of being in one of those groups at another point in my life. But as our pastor put it yesterday you do not have to go to church you get to go to church that is how I hope I look at every time I get to go to church have a good day God bless kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Och! watch my toes there!
    guilty as charged
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT check I just did on myself and how our family lives!  Truly something to think of often....THANKS for a great entry!  And THANKS to God for being a forgiver!  (hugs) ~Dawn

    http://journals.aol.com/ybbpilates/SunshinesScribbles

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...