Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Storm Stories - Friday of the Big Night

                                             

Friday was just another hot/humid Southeast Texas day.  Everywhere there were updates on Rita.  Updates on evacuation routes, school closings, etc.  Our own children had been released from school on Wednesday, as we lie along the evacuation route for Jefferson County and they didn't want the buses cutting back and forth through that mess.  And of course there was always the possiblity we'd get a mandatory evacuation order.  And we did.  But sorry Charlie, this is a day late and a dollar short!  Absolutely no funds for motel rooms.  All our friends and family either were also in the path or lived so far away we'd never be able to buy the gas to get there. 

So, we made plans.  Smart plans we thought.  I put changes of clothing for everyone in three seperate locations outside the main house.  I put boxes of canned food and a jug of water in each of these also.  Surely at least one would survive.  We filled jugs with water and both bathtubs. 

We saw that we might run out of a few things before places opened back up.  We expected everything to be down and at a standstill for 3-5 days.  (Yeah, that's the Lord you hear laughing.)  So, thankfully we had backroads we could run to the closest feed store where I got extra milk, bread, feed, canned drinks, etc.   I started supper and we began to turn the kitchen into our "safe place."  We chose the kitchen as it is part of the main house, not the trailer add on.  There would be three ways to get out of it if we needed to.  Also, we have a solid wood dining table there with a top that is about 1 1/2" thick.  We would put pallets under there to sleep.  Our heads and torsos would have that extra layer of protection. 

Pete and Bubba turned all the horses loose and put the gaps up across the road and the pipeline.  He figured they would cause damage and hurt theirselfs if they were trapped in a pen or stall when things got spooky. 

Well, wouldn't you know it, we lost our phone and electricity around 9:00 pm!  Before anything to speak of had started !  That's what happens when your lines run through a pipeline in the midst of the Piney Woods.  All it takes is one large tree limb to give way.  So we lit the hurricane lamp and finished our supper. 

The rough stuff seemed to begin around midnight.  We all sat on our porch which opens into the kitchen with the door open.  Wondered what the night would bring.  The winds steadily increased.   It drove the rain parallel to the ground.  With no artifical light, it was next to impossible to see what was going on.  But from the glow of the oil lamp you could tell the large cedar tree by the house was bending nearly double and slapping the tin roof of the porch.

This was solid, steady wind....ever increasing from midnight on.  The kids finally gave in and lay down.  Managed to "catnap."  We heard the tin on Pete's shop shudder and rumble, like it was about to leave.....but it never did.

I finally was exhausted and lay down.  Nothing approaching real sleep.  Each time things sounded really bad, I sang a verse of "Put your hand in the hand of the man from Galilee." and reflected on the prayer Trish had sent.  It brought instant relief.  Bug seemed to appreciate it.  And maybe even Pete did, as he didn't tell me to hush!  lol  (Don't judge him harshly if you've never heard me sing!)

From 2:00 am on things really intensified.  Occasionally you could smell the scent of pine strong in the air and you knew a tree had given way and breathed a sigh of relief it wasn't on the house.  There were sounds of things bouncing off the walls outside.  Even sounds like things blowing through underneath as the home sits up on blocks!  Twice we heard the "train" sound of a tornado.  But you could just barely make it out over the sound of the constant, steady pounding winds!  As 5:00 am rolled around you could tell that things were abating and we began to give a sigh of relief through thankful hearts. 

Pete said he prayed that night like he never had before.  I never had the fear I thought I would have.  But each hug, from each dear one in our home that morning did seem extra special.

                                            

10 comments:

  1. God is SO good; so faithful to HIS WORD. Many, besides myself are praying for you and all those effected by these hurricanes. I am so happy to see you posting again. BIG HUGS,
    Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure have missed you. Im so glad your all okay. thanks for sharing about the storm, its so cool you had a song to sing when things got bad. I love it when God puts a song in our heart. And thank you for the kind  encourageing words you wrote in my journal.

    Hugs
    angelrose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting on this emtry I feel like you left us in limbo
    If we had a storm here there is no way we could leave our animals.
    Maybe God was speaking to Pete that night.
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God You all were safe. I would think there is still going to be some more added to this entry though. How things were outsdie and so on. I am hoping all of this brought Pete closer to the Lord and has made a big change in his life. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had to live through something like that!  I rode with someone thru a blizzard once tho across town, had her drop me off at my sis in laws and then I walked home just a few hundred feet away, I can see why people die in blizzards!  I was exhausted just from tramping through the deep snow and fighting the wind and the cold.  I wanted to just lie down and rest!  Terrible natures fury!  Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have never had to go through anything like that and please God that we never do.  I am so glad that you were all safe and we all missed you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet Pete's prayers were music to the Father's ears and he may of wispered to him.. finnaly son, I have your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh! God truly was looking out for your family. I can't believe you braved the storm though! My family ended up leaving, spending more then 24 hours in the car, two shelters, two hotels and finally home!

    Been reading your journal, and sticking you on alerts.

    Hugs
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. God was watching out for you for sure! I loved your testimony.  Thanks for visiting my journal. :) I hope you come back.
    http://journals.aol.com/hopesingod/MySonNicholas/
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your faith has kept you strong.  I so enjoyed reading this the other day as I breezed through.  Forgive me for not leaving a note then.  Too few hours in a day, I'll guess.  Be blessed today and always.  Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...